Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Cleveland Browns Offensive Needs

Our annual prep for the Browns draft begins today with the offensive needs of the team.
I'll also be doing a defensive needs post with a look at my persons (people?) of interest and with time,I'll try a look at some sleepers at each position as well..

Can you make an argument for yet another early round pick at the quarterback position?
Yes,you sure can.
With the questions surrounding Johnny Manziel on and off the field along with the thinking that the team can get by with Josh McCown,yes you could make that argument.
Josh McCown,Johnny Manziel,Thaddeus Lewis and Connor Shaw don't exactly strike fear into defenses or help build Cleveland into a contender/
Would I be thrilled if the Browns tried again? Depends.
But I cannot argue the doubts at the position and for all the draftees since the 1999 return,all except Tim Couch have been guys drafted in the late first round.
I'm not advocating a tradeup for Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston,but I'd rather see that than another late first rounder.
I have a player that I'd like in day two in mind,but you'll have to wait until the persons of interest post to get a name.

The Browns have two nice second year backs,but neither strike me as true number one backs.
I think Isaiah Crowell could develop into that role and Terrence West is solid,when he feels like playing.Glenn Winston is raved about by the coaches,but rarely sees the field and Shaun Draughn is a veteran that is mainly a backup at this stage.
The position looks strong,but I wouldn't be against a back being taken and even early if the back was the right one.
Mike Pettine is building a team based around the run game and when you look at it as such,two backs aren't enough,especially with the issues surrounding West and his occasional effort issues..

The Browns need a number one wide receiver and no,Ray Farmer-I don't believe Dwayne Bowe is a number one receiver and if the Browns think he is,then there is an issue in itself.
Bowe can be very helpful,but he isn't a number one right now.
Brian Hartline is a nice addition from the Dolphins and Andrew Hawkins should be very strong in the slot.
Taylor Gabriel and Travis Benjamin can contribute,if spotted properly in the right role,but neither are starting material.
The Browns need a number one receiver. Draft one and this bunch doesn't look so bad.
Ignore it like last draft and it looks pretty pedestrian at best...

The Browns looked weak at tight end ,but I liked the addition of Rob Housler of the Cardinals.
Before that,I was hoping that they might look at Maxx Williams of Minnesota with the second of their two first rounders,but now I'm ok with a later round project type.
Housler will surprise some people catching the ball and I'm fine with Jim Dray and Gary Barnidge as the blockers.
I would like to see an athletic pass catcher sometime in this draft in case Housler doesn't work out,but it doesn't have to be an early selection.

I've been surprised with the amount of draftniks that seem to believe the Browns need offensive line help.
They could use offensive line depth as shown after the Alex Mack injury,but with a healthy Mack,the Browns are solid almost line wide.
Joe Thomas is a perennial All-Pro,Joel Bitonio should have been a contender for offensive rookie of the year,Alex Mack is of pro bowl talent and John Greco is solid at the right guard spot.
Mitchell Schwartz improved last season,although he is still the weak link of the bunch,but still I'd rather see him pushed by Michael Bowie,who started for the Seahawks before a pre-season injury saw Seattle attempt to slide him through waivers since he was out of action for the season.
The Browns claimed Bowie and I think they might be better suited to see what Bowie has to offer rather than use a high pick for a right tackle.
I would like to see the Browns take an interior lineman in case Alex Mack leaves via free agency after 2015 to protect against a similar mess as happened last season.
It can be a pure center or a guard,in which case,John Greco could move over to the center as he holds experience there in the past.
And yes,I do have a particular player in mind.

Garrett Hartley was decent in his late season cameo and deserves a full shot at the permanent kicking position,but I'm all for challengers and even a day three pick would be acceptable to me...

Top Offensive Needs
1:Wide Receiver
2:Quarterback
3:Interior Lineman- Center/Guard

No comments: