Thursday, April 2, 2015

Forgotten Superstars-Alvin

We return to the Forgotten Superstars universe with one of my favorite cartoon characters ever-Alvin of the Chipmunks.

I became an Alvin fan when I lived in Ohio being pre-school age because a local station showed the Alvin Show in syndication and back then canceled cartoons often were cut up and stuck into various shows that were shown locally.
I only have vague memories of those shows other than Alvin and Dave Seville, although I seemed to remember faintly a host without specifics until I did some research for this post and came up with Captain Penny out of Cleveland.
It might be a match, although I wouldn't want to stake my life on it.

I was an instant Alvin fan and had a lot of the records of that era, but after that point-Alvin and the boys pretty much disappeared from the media with the exception of the Chipmunks Christmas song which always got a lot of airplay in the season.

Alvin made a comeback in the late '70s with "Chipmunk Punk" which had the guys singing harder rock songs (Not really Punk) and led to other concept albums, which turned the Chipmunks hot again with a return to Saturday morning TV.
First, the return was re-running the Alvin Show until the new show could be finished.
Besides introducing the Chipettes (which did nothing for me) and the change in animation, this version of Alvin wasn't really for me.
I was still a fan of the original character and the revisions left me cold.
Time went by and as more versions appeared (CGI style), I still had a small part of fandom for Alvin and his sidekicks from my pre-school days and youtube allowed me to see the Alvin Show and stuff like Witch Doctor, but one thing kept ol' Alvin around.

You see, my mother has always been a craft person and through the years the things have changed, but she always was an artist of some type.
So when she did crochet and got tired of making a thousand afghans, she started buying pattern books to make items.
When she got to me-I picked Alvin and he is here to this day.
The time and love that my mom spent to create make Alvin priceless.
As you can see, Alvin is still here and I hope one of the kids or even future grandkids keep Alvin around
I'd hate to see him sent to the Goodwill or sat out with the trash.
We welcome Alvin to the Forgotten Superstars universe and even though he might not be as good as he used to be, in my opinion, or even look the same through the years, I'll choose to remember this Alvin and when I look at him, I'll always think of my mom...

No comments: