Thursday, April 30, 2015

Cleveland Browns-Sleepers

Photo Credit:Andrew Weber USA Today
A bit of housecleaning first before I finish our Browns draft series.
Thanks for the notes on this morning's post.
Most of you agreed with my take,but some didn't and that's fine.
I just hope I made you think a bit and maybe look closer at things.
I will not identify the Suns employee because my intent was not to call anyone out-I just wanted to show how some people behave.
Also,for those that wondered about Blair Jewell and how I know her-the answer is that I don't.
I was just sitting nearby when the person walked up to her.
Thanks again for the feedback! I always enjoy hearing from you....

Now we move on to a few players that I like in the draft,but might not be names that you hear tonight.
I'll start at wide receiver with a player that if the Browns took at either 19 or lower in a tradedown scenario that I would love to see is Ohio State's Devin Smith.
With Smith's deep speed (maybe best in the draft) he could open up a lot of lanes for the Browns possession types.
If we are looking at real sleepers at WR for day three,look at Chris Conley of Georgia or the talented Stefon Diggs of Maryland,who could also help in the return game.

I like UCLA's Brett Hundley at quarterback on day two.
Hundley's skills will need a lot of refinement,but I'd take the risk as I like his background and I think with some patience (the Browns may not have that luxury),Hundley has a chance to be a solid NFL passer.

Many are talking runner in round one and I noted earlier about how much I like Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon,but I also like Indiana's Tevin Coleman and Boise State's Jay Ajayi later on day two.
Want a day three flier? I was always impressed by the toughness of Michigan State's Jeremy Langford against Ohio State and I think he could be a productive part of a back rotation.

A day three tight end I like is Nick O'Leary of Florida State.
O'Leary is all about production and watching his intense nature makes me think of the Giants Mark Bavaro and that was a very dependable and tough tight end.

I'll add two day three types for the offensive line.
Tackle? All in on the huge (6'7 321) Rob Haverstein of Wisconsin.
Haverstein is the type of tackle that improves the running game as a road paver.
He might not be a elite talent,but he reminds of a guy that starts for a while and is very dependable.
Guard? The Browns could do worse than Texas A&M's Jarvis Harrison,who struggled after a shoulder injury.
Big (330),Harrison is athletic and reminded me a little of former Saints (among other teams) guard Ben Grubbs...

On the defense,two sleepers for the line.
I love Clemson's Grady Jarrett on the inside.
I'm a big fan of high energy players and that is Jarrett.
It may take a day two pick to land Jarrett however.
A knee problem dropped Texas end Cedric Reed's play after a great 2013 season,but I'd love a chance on him on day three.
A healthy Reed could be a force at a bargain price..

The linebackers will see an outside and a inside backer.
On the inside,how about Bryce Hager of Baylor,who just makes tackles,
Hager is the son of former Eagle Britt Hager and at worst,will be a special team impact player.
Outside features a player that I've seen a lot in Washington's Shaq Thompson.
The athletic Thompson sometimes has been seen in round one in some mock drafts,but I think he is a better day two fit.
My only worry is that he may be a tweener.Too slow for safety,not big enough to be a three down linebacker...

Utah's Eric Rowe has nice ball skills and could play the corner or safety,while Ole Miss's Cody Prewitt is a hitter that could be a huge help on special teams.
I also would consider Tennessee corner Justin Coleman as a player with loads of talent that could flourish with the right team.
Much like Stefon Diggs,Coleman has day one/two level talent with some consistency issues that drop him down the board...

Keep an eye of some of those names and see what you think for the Browns or your team over the next few days!
Enjoy the draft


No comments: