Friday, February 19, 2016

Cuts and cuts

The Browns made two cuts and I'll get to them shortly,but a bigger cut to me came this afternoon and I'd like to drop a few lines on that first.

I've written that I was considering rooting for the newly re-located Los Angeles Rams,due to reasons that I've written in other posts,but that took a hit today as they released James Laurinaitis.
Laurinaitis ranks as one of my favorite Buckeyes ever and as a stalwart for years as a member of the Seven Time IFL Champion Ohio Hitmen was a reason that I tried to catch the Rams when I could.
The 2009 second rounder became the all time Rams tackler last year and even though I'd bet the odds are long,I'd love to see Laurinaitis become a Brown.

The Browns chopped two veterans off the cap as defensive tackle Randy Starks and tight end Jim Dray each were released with one year to go on their contracts.
Dray was basically a blocking tight end (six catches in 2015) that is a dime a dozen and Starks contributed just one sack in 15 starts,so the pass rush up the middle that Starks was going to bring never really materialized.
The Browns would likely be looking for help at the interior defensive line even with Starks,so count on someone being brought in there,while I'm sure a veteran blocking tight end can be added at a far cheaper deal than that paid for Jim Dray.
The release of both helps save some cap space somewhere and just how that will be spent is the story of the off-season.



No comments: