3-2 win at the Rock.
The Devils win moved them within two points of the Rangers for second place in the division among four teams in that race.
New Jersey also received goals from Lee Stempniak (15 Power play) and Joseph Blandisi (2) in the win.
New Jersey travels to Toronto on Thursday to meet the Maple Leafs and their new logo...
1) Nice to settle in and do a game review for a change.
Not sure how many I'll be doing,but I'll take them as I go.
This was a fun game to watch as Ranger games usually are,but the Devils have taken such a step forward under John Hynes that they are more competitive than the last few years.
2) Loved the second game tying goal by Joe Blandisi.
On a team that still needs to add speed,Blandisi has the potential to be part of the improved skating and on this play,he simply blazed by Dan Girardi like he was a trash can on the corner and snapped the puck by Henrik Lundquist for the goal.
3) The Devils still have some holes to be filled,if they are truly going to revamp the team,but New Jersey has found themselves a few spare parts to be a temporary fix.
One of which was Lee Stempniak with his 15 goals and almost as many teams on his resume'.
Players like this are going to be the bridge to the eventual contender,but it's very cool when journeyman players are able put a good year together because it's so unexpected...
4) Cory Schneider really only allowed one goal as the first of the two J.T, Miller goals was on a 2 on 1 breakaway.
Schneider has put together a strong season and made some excellent saves in the victory.
5) Two power play goals showed the Devils making strides on the man advantage.
It was clearly the difference in the game,but for a team that has struggled over the last few seasons,this improvement goes a long way in helping the Devils in a potential playoff season.
6) I was dubious of David Schlemko's signing as more than a 7th defenseman type because I feared he would take time away from a younger player.
I was wrong.
Schlemko has been better than expected and added a two way blueliner that the team needed....
This was fun,I'll try to be back for Toronto.