Friday, June 1, 2007

Maybe there is hope for the NBA yet and Gas Can strikes the match!


Two stories today.
The 1st-The Cleveland Cavaliers defeated the Detroit Pistons in double overtime 109-107 to win Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals and take a 3-2 series lead.
I was at work watching this and could not pull myself away from the TV.
Not just because I consider myself a Cavalier fan,but because it was 1 on 5 and it wasnt a Kobe Bryant 1 on 5.
It was 1 on 5 because that is what it took to win.
Lebron James won that game on his own and gave me hope that perhaps at a future time the game I loved so much could be mine again.
Those that know me know my long time love affair with the Cavaliers.
From the Bingo Smith childhood years,to the horrible years with just Mike Mitchell and the near great Price,Nance Ehlo,Daugherty teams.I was always a Cavalier fan.
But as the NBA changed,maybe I did as well.The game was not what I remembered it as and even when Cleveland landed James,it still was not the same.
Maybe it was just the right alignment of the stars,but for one night,at least,my childhood team was mine again.

Now for the bad news.The Bucs got a great outing from B.P.Chacon(I cannot believe I typed that) and then Gas Can Torres allowed the game to be tied in the 9th,followed by Josh Sharpless losing it in the 11th 4-2.
When you get the kind of effort Chacon gave you-you must win the game!
Especially because you might get 1 or 2 like that a season from Chacon.
The Pirates spent all off season touting the strength of the bullpen.
What a Joke!
Torres is miscast as a closer,John Grabow sucks no matter how you use him,Matt Capps shows potential,but is inconsistent and the rest?UGH!!!
I just want to forget about this fiasco and move on,but this one hurts.
Buccs battle the Dodgers tonight-Zach Duke for the Pirates,the red hot Randy Wolf for the visitors from Scullyland.

Bullpen Notes

I will be going to Frederick tonight for the Keys vs the Myrtle Beach Pelicans.
Pelicans have 2 touted prospects in SS Elvis Andrus and 3b Eric Campbell.
Report here tomorrow.

Billy Donovan,noted Florida putz,has accepted the job for the Orlando Magic.
Hope he has the same lack of success most college coaches that try the NBA has.

Our guy Alex Periard is on the West Virginia Power's 7 DL.
Injury is undisclosed,but the 7 day indicates nothing serious.

Still looking for comments from readers and do not forget to pass us along to anyone you think might be interested!

Photo Credits
James-NBAE-Getty Images-Nathaniel Butler
Torres-AP Photo-Gene Puskar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pleas fill out your background info :)

Shawn said...

Tell you what,Ill make you a deal_I will work on it,if you ID yourself,so I know who you are!LOL :)