Tuesday, July 22, 2014

If you believe-we put a man on the moon?

I know that most of the country is saturated with notes on the 45th anniversary of the first Apollo moon mission and I myself have been reading non-stop tweets as a "live in flight" play by play by space historian Amy Shira Teitel (If space history interests you, you REALLY need to follow her on Twitter),so for a few days,manned space flight is back in the news.

Of course,it will shortly retreat back into the pages of history for another five years when the Armstrong/Aldrin/Collins team will return to the news for the big 5 0, for non stop looks back,very similar to all the JFK retrospectives that were on seemingly every network last November.
It really shouldn't though.
I would go further and add this-I wish that every person that mildly cares about anything would get off their duff and wonder why was this the end of manned space exploration?

I blame every President for this decision.
Richard Nixon killed off Apollo,but every President since-Democrat or Republican,has had opportunities to revive manned space and it just doesn't happen.
We not only should be on Mars right now,we should have been there for years and built the beginnings of bases for even further exploration!
I know this kinda sounds like a poor movie on the Sci-Fi like Sharknado,but hear me out.
If technology that had less power than the PC that I am typing on could take us to the moon,imagine what 42 years (date since last Apollo mission) could have done?
Sure,the shuttle did a few things in space like renting a vehicle to move your stuff and the space station has its advantages too,but neither were broad strokes of imagination to really get things moving towards the future.
Trust me,the future isn't today,tomorrow or 50 years from now,but eventually there will be a reason to move on and it's never too early to start.
Just as I think that we need to invest more money into having a plan to defend against a catastrophic meteor hit (no,I didn't watch Deep Impact last night),I think an investment in exploration is a excellent one.
I'm not against private exploration,in fact I applaud the idea,but imagine what could be accomplished with the backing of world governments pouring money into the plans and then the people that would be put to work on it?!
That would be huge for not just the program,but for the economies of participating areas.
Now,I know there are people that are against funding from both sides of the political aisle as one side says that there are better things to spend money on and the other would rather not spend money on anything,but I beg differently.

Imagination brings things only thought of to life,isn't there room for a little imagination in our world?
Especially when it eventually will mean so much?

Back later with more

No comments: