Saturday, July 26, 2014

On the signing front

A smaller signing front today,but one that buys some space on the pile!

We start with the Wilmington Blue Rocks,a team loaded with prospects that with one or two exceptions were struggling on the field.
The Wilmington team set had been released quickly (which is a refreshing change from teams that signed contracts with Brandt Sportcards to produce their team sets) and had loads of prospects to ink.

The biggest fish were as always the two with Top 100 cards and I was able to get both in different manners.
Raul Mondesi Jr, was an excellent signer in the SAL last year and kept up the good work in the Carolina League as he signed his 100 and 4 others including his Topps Heritage,Lexington and Wilmington cards.
Mike Landucci ran down to the field and got Bubba Starling on his top 100,which was appreciated.
I would add more from the outfield prospect in the next Blue Rock visit.
The two first rounders from the Royals 2013 draft were both super nice in signing two cards apiece.
Hunter Dozier signed a Bowman Chrome with his Wilmington card,while Sean Manaea signed his Wilmington with a Panini Elite.
Powerarmed Miguel Almonte signed all five cards that I had,but I missed out on local prospect Christian Binford on this occasion as he was the starting pitcher on this evening.
The story on this night was a funny one as Bubba Starling and pitcher Daniel Stumpf switched jerseys (names on the back) to run to the field and then switched back in the dugout.
Not sure if it was an accident (both names starting with ST) or just guys having fun (both signed,so I doubt it was to dodge us),but a interesting note.....

Kendall and I trekked to Altoona for the New Hampshire Fisher Cats and the worst day of graphing all season.
As in four cards.
At least I did get the two oldest cards finished in 2008 cards for PJ Walters and Richard Bleier,but those and two from Matt Newman finished a bad day in Altoona.
Altoona is easily my least favorite graphing stop on the circuit anymore between the tough accommodations and the usually unfriendly ushers,but this day was bad even by Altoona standards...

The Delmarva Shorebirds were in Hagerstown,but yet no team set was released yet.
So that led to just 2013 first rounder Hunter Harvey,who signed a super sharp Blue Panini numbered to 75 and his blue Bowman mini.
Harvey is nice,but quiet as he signs everything,I just wonder how long that will last...

I'll wrap up with the Akron Rubber Ducks in Harrisburg on a day that was the opposite of the previous note-I was able to get every player in the team set signed including the top Indians prospect in Francisco Lindor.
Lindor usually signs just one card,but after his 1st run through,he returned for a second time around.
He got to me and I told him "Francisco,you already signed for me"
Lindor replied with an outstretched fist for a fist bump and said "you are an honest man,I like that,I'll sign a second one for you".
It's stories of that nature that make this hobby so much fun....
Other Ducks of note include former Cub Bryan LaHair,former first rounder Tyler Naquin and Joe Wendle on his Bowman Chrome.

That's all for this time on the signing front.Still plenty on the pile though,so I'll be back soon for more....

No comments: