Sunday, July 20, 2014

Picking the best

Sitting around the house yesterday with the lovely Cherie on a slow sports day and little to do,I asked her what she would rank as the best local food stops,if someone was offering her a free gift card to eat at the place of her choice.
Since this is still a slow sports day,I figured that I would jump in and add some thoughts.
Keep in mind that these ratings are only for the local area and do not include chains or stops outside the area....

Fast Food: Five Guys.
Five Guys is the best fast food burger in the area bar none.
Five Guys is a little pricey for the genre',but there is zero comparison vs the McDonald's of the world....
I've yet to try the Hagerstown Sonic and Checkers in Hagerstown just once.
Those two establishments managed to put themselves in the worst possible place for me to drive to in town.
Just a hated and awkward drive from my house to that area.

Subs: Earl's Market.
In a stunning upset over the usual titans of local subs Hartles and Freddie's,I gave Earl's a try on the word of my friend,Denise and it was well worth the time.
I had always thought that the big two couldn't be touched,but I was wrong.
Give Earl's in State Line PA a shot and watch the powerhouses move over and make space..

Pizza: King's New York Pizza
Keep in mind that I consider the local pizza to be an inferior product,but I give King's the edge over the field.
I like to patronize local shops,but pizza is a tough sell in a house that features the guy paying for it liking supreme and Rachel's preference for Cheese or Pepperoni on the odd racy day.
King's has a solid enough pizza to nose out Ledo's and the lesser quality,but cheaper Papa Johns to win the category under the restrictions of this contest...

Steakhouse: Longhorn Steakhouse
There are three that are pretty close in food quality,but Longhorn gets the edge for two reasons over Outback and Texas Roadhouse.
The first is that they have the atmosphere edge over the party style Roadhouse and the date happy Outback.
I prefer a quieter restaurant and Longhorn wins there.
The other? Longhorn serves lunch,the other pair doesn't open until four,so people like me can enjoy a meal in a yes-quieter atmosphere.
I don't think you can lose for the steak in any of the three places....

Chicken: Kentucky Fried Chicken
Since the market is limited to KFC and Popeye's-I give a huge edge to the Colonel.
It's stiff and if I am really in the mood,I'll drive to Chambersburg PA or Martinsburg WV for a KFC buffet,since the Hagerstown version does not offer that option.
Been a fan since I've been a kid and locally,I doubt I'll lose that anytime soon....

Sit down/Casual
I'm going to set a different dynamic for this as I will have a category that's a little more formal and a less formal winner as well...

More formal
Chicago UNO's;
It's not really that UNO's is a ton more formal than the other category,but I'll explain why when I get there.
UNO's noses out TGI Friday's by a hair as the last few times that I've been to Friday's have seen them gaining on the leader...

Less Formal
Buffalo Wild Wings
The category is more for the places that have TV's all over the place and a little more hectic paced.
I'm not totally against these places and BWW is my usual favorite.
Try the Wild Sauce for a wet mop wing (boneless for me) or Salt and Vinegar for a dry rub....

Ice Cream/Frozen treat:The Meadows
For years,this was owned by Rita's,but a late opening by their North End store and a closing of their South End shop cleared an opening for a new champ.
The Meadows has a great frozen custard and their italian ice was a surprisingly thicker version for someone used to Rita's with a very robust flavor.
Many have recommended Nutter's ice cream in Sharpsburg,but I've never tried it.
Perhaps in the future....

Chinese:Hong Kong Restaurant
Located literally down the street from me in a former Red Barn.
Hong Kong has the best takeout in town and when we eat in,a waitress that seemingly remembers every patron dating back to the Truman administration offers tips on what's good according to your past orders.
What a memory and great food as well.

Seafood;
What's that?
No local places offer a buffet and other places are just too expensive for what they offer this author.

Non-Chain restaurant: Red Byrd
Thanks to my friend Krista for reminding me of Red Byrd and their terrific chicken.
I've also enjoyed their liver and onions through the years.
The Keedysville location is a bit out of the way,but I've always loved the Red Byrd,which noses out two contenders in the Colonial,which is near the Hagerstown airport and Windy Hill in Clear Spring.
I've had great meals at all three of those places,so give any or all a chance!

I'm sure that your views might differ and they wouldn't be wrong!
I'll listen to all feedback!





No comments: