Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Power Outages and why they "suck"

An interesting day from the world headquarters as it started strong,had issues and then finished better to conclude the day.

The title is a paraphrase from my neighbor,who so eloquently offered her thoughts on power outages.
After a great start with a great sub (more on that on a future slow day),seeing the lovely Cherie and I's friend Denise there and finding some more pepper plants to place in Pepper Land MD,the day was pretty good as I sat at the Muni waiting for the Lakewood Blue Claws,so I could finish their team set.

The graphers with Derreck and I swapped various forecasts for an impending storms arrival when suddenly my phone rang.
Yes,I know most of you don't even know I have a cell phone-that is how seldom I use it,but it rang to Derreck's amazement and Cherie told me it was pouring rain at our house.
We live just a few minutes (as in maybe 3 or 4 by car) and it was literally the calm before the storm at the Muni.
I'm sure anyone knows the feeling before a storm when the skies get dark,yet the wind stops and the eerie calmness arrives.
I was able to trek to the back grandstand before hearing Cherie utter "OH MY GOSH,OH MY GOSH,I HAVE TO GO".
It was a very unsettling feeling being so far away and helpless and by the time we reached the other end of the grandstand,the storm had arrived and I limped to Derreck's car in the downpour.
Derreck graciously took me home and all was well except no power.
We would have no power for the next 3 or so hours,except for a brief respite of a few minutes in between.

One never realizes how much comfort that we have until the power goes out.
No cooling,no television,internet etc.
It really makes you think how pampered we are-me included.
Nothing seems to make the clock tick slower than having little to pass the time.
I brought out the Strat O Matic cards and played two games of the Giants 1971 season as they took both games from the Cardinals to have something to do as the one advantage was that it was at least daylight available to play and later read (started the Long Season) as well.
I'm sure that I would have gotten by in the non-electric times,which my wife seems to romanticize,and you deal with the hand that you've been dealt,but for all the nostalgia that I have for the past-I don't have a fondness for the days of limited power.
As my dimwitted neighbor says "This sucks".

For the record,we eventually killed the times by going to the Muni anyway and catching a few innings of a Suns win.
Amazingly,the game was played!
If you have been there for a hard rain,you would know just how amazing that was!

Back later with more!!

No comments: