Thursday, November 27, 2014

It's a new world coming

Cass Elliot once sung the title in the 1970 when,indeed,there did appear for a brief glimmer of time to be a new world coming,but today that world caught up to me

A world that,for the first time,made me see that the day of it being just the lovely Cherie and I is coming.
Now,don't jump the gun,it's nothing looming,but when you start meeting young men interested in your daughter-that world is coming,
I'm not running from that world,I've never had that kind of time with my wife,but change is coming and nothing you might try to deter that change will work.

You look back at things and realize that the little girl is now a beautiful woman and you'll never be the top man in her life again.
Oh,you may make the occasional chart in rough times,but if times are good ( and if you are a good parent,one hopes so),you should settle into the number two role or even lower in some cases.

But,it wouldn't be human,if we didn't want to reach back and try to possess things as remember what things once were.
The temptation is to grab the reigns and hold things back,but that's futile and self-motivated to try.
It's always a mistake and far more often than not,we make that error.
You'll never command that type of attention again and I don't think we should,but reflection and memories are all you have of both that young girl and the person that I was.
You might be the person that she comes to when the chips are down and there is a role for that,but that means that you are the person to help in a bad situation that is needed.
Think of it as a kitchen uni-tasker in a cooking dilemma!

Like a spent star,I'm ready to take my place in the new world,whether its today or years down the road and it's not a bad thing.
I'm not sure how things eventually go,but perhaps a day is coming with me becoming a planetary nebula is on its way with a small center yet having everything scattered around you.
The little girl is gone, filed away and never replaced,but one can hope that the adult looks back fondly and remembers that dad is always the old soldier-
ready when needed like a guard stationed alone at a remote post.

I may be back later with Cavaliers-Wizards....


No comments: