Tuesday, November 25, 2014

On the Signing Front

Finally,we return to the signing front after I finally bought some plastic sheets!
I didn't buy nearly enough,so we won't be caught up for a while,but the process can now begin...

Thanks to Mike and Fred Landucci for the their work on the Harrisburg Senators team set and most notably A.J.Cole on his top 100.
The Senators weren't loaded with prospects with the most notable being Cole and Michael Taylor.
Fred and Mike also got two of my pile of Indians prospect Francisco Lindor finished and did the New Britain Rock Cats for me with the biggest catch being difficult signer Eddie Rosario on his top 100 and a few more.
It was my last chance at the Twins because after the season New Britain switched to a Colorado affiliate.

Thanks to Jason Christensen for our annual trade for the Binghamton Mets team set.
The Mets weren't loaded with prospects either,but Kevin Plawecki is a nice prospect behind the plate.

Thanks to Mike Oravec for his constant stream of TTM Indians,Pirates and Giants.
My favorites of this flush is a 1972 of Jack Heidemann and a 1975 of former Buckeye Steve Arlin.

A quick trip to Altoona with Kendall Morris for the Richmond Flying Squirrels saw me not have very much as the team set hadn't been released yet.
Biggest catch was Kyle Crick on a few stragglers since Crick is down to signing two now.
Kyle signed a Bowman and a baseball for me as well.
I try to get the Pirates,Giants and Indians first round picks on baseballs for my collection.
I also added former White Sox first baseman and Richmond manager Russ Morman on three cards as well..

The Wilmington Blue Rocks hit Frederick without a team set to do.
The main gets were out of the Carolina League top prospect sets with Raul Mondesi Jr, Christian Binford,Sean Manaea and Miguel Almonte signing.
Mike Landucci ran down to the field to get Bubba Starling on his top 100.
The best story from this series came when this fellow came up to me and said he hadn't seen me since I was a little kid running around the bowling alley and talked like he really did know me.
Turns it was Randy Thompson,brother of Wilmington hitting coach Milt Thompson.
Randy brought Milt over to me and talked about me as a little kid.Maybe Randy really did know me!!

The Lexington Legends were in Hagerstown for their visit without a team set due to the "Great Brandt Caper of 2014".
As a result I had next to no cards for them other than Cody Reed and Chad Johnson of the SAL top prospect set.
I did get Lucas Giolito and Drew Ward of the Suns on their SAL card and Brett Mooneyham on his Carolina League prospect card.

The Winston-Salem Dash also had no team set for me to do as Brandt hit them as well.
This mainly meant the Carolina League prospect  cards of Courtney Hawkins,who always teases with me but signs-this time Courtney laughed and said "walk with me Bro".
Others on the CL cards were Tim Anderson and Jacob May,Tyler Danish on his SAL prospect card and Brad Goldberg on his Elite card and the former Buckeye added Go Bucks on his card.
I always try to get former Buckeyes to add that to their card...

Another quickie trip to see the Binghamton Mets with Kendall Morris saw me have little,but I did get two heritage cards signed of Brandon Nimmo,who is one of my favorite players ever,very nice and former Pirate prospect Dilson Herrera.
Brandon Nimmo also signed a ball for me....

Corey White came through with a shipment from Tennessee with the star being power prospect Kris Bryant on his USA card and top 100.
I remove my top 100's as they come in and go in a different book,so I'll be doing a Top 100 review after all of this mess is finished!
Corey also got me several Smokies with C.J. Edwards and Zeke DeVoss being the best.
Corey also sent me cards from Huntsville (Brewers) and Mobile (Diamondbacks) with the best being Jonathan Griffin and Jake Barrett from Mobile..

The Frederick Keys team set came out and I did most of them during a meet the team day.
Brandon Kline signed his Carolina League and Keys card with the other CL prospect card getting finished as well with Glynn Davis,Parker Bridwell and Adrian Marin.

The Delmarva Shorebirds entered Hagerstown and DID have a team set.
This was around the time that the SAL All-Star set came out and I got four Suns finished out of the set in Wilmer Difo,John Wooten and Nick Pivetta.
The Shorebirds in the set were number one pick Hunter Harvey,Drew Dosch and Sebastian Vader.
Harvey signed all three cards that I had and is nice,but quiet.
Chance Sisco is a prospect that I like a lot and he was the best get of the team set players...

I took Rachel and Kayla to Frederick to see their hero Will Pinwica-Worms with the Potomac Nationals.
No P-Nats teamer yet,so I had next to no cards.
Still worth it though as Pinwica-Worms would get hurt before another visit to Frederick and then retire,so this was the last time that the ladies saw WPW.
I only had CL prospect cards for Tony Renda and Pedro Severino and Jake Walsh's SAL All-Star card on a very light day...

We squeezed in a shot at the Portland Sea Dogs with Kendall and Derreck in Reading for a pre-game appearance.
The biggest catch was Brian Johnson on a few cards.
I always seemed to miss Johnson in both Hagerstown or Frederick and it was nice to reel him in.
I also added Luis Diaz on his Carolina prospect card and Deven Marrero on a Bowman Blue Wave.
Marrero was down to just one card now,which was too bad as he was very accommodating in the past.

More Red Sox as the Salem version rolled into Frederick.
Some interesting guys this time as I added Madison Younginer,who I had tons of cards for along with Jose Vincio,who was injured the first trip in.
Joe Gunkel signed his SAL All-Star card as did Jantzen Witte,but the most interesting was Mario Martinez.
Martinez was a one time Mariner prospect and I was able to get cards signed from 2008 including a Appalachian League prospect.
It is not often that you get a player signed from six years before in the Carolina League.
Former Royals shortstop U.L.Washington was a Salem coach and came with a less than glowing signing record,but I did get him on an 81 Fleer and 81 Donruss.

We wrap up with the Kannapolis Intimidators,who visited Hagerstown four times this year and due to the Brandt issues never had a team set available for those visits.
A grand total of six cards for this series,but two of the always cool Pete Rose Jr including his 81 Fleer with his dad "Pete and Re-Pete".

A mail success with former Alabama and B.C.Lions running back Johnny Musso.

As large as this was,it barely put a dent in the pile.
Look for lots more Signing Front as the winter progresses





No comments: