Sunday, May 22, 2016

Dull night in Vegas-Boxing Challenge

On a busy day in boxing,the boxing challenge had five fights on the slate and saw R.L.Malpica and I each add seven points to our totals.
I lead the challenge 62-52.

The day started with two fights from outside America that I didn't get to see live,but did watch through the wonder of YouTube.
The most meaningful fight on a day with four world title fights,might have been the one without a title on the line as New Zealand's talented young heavyweight Joseph Parker earned a unanimous decision over veteran Carlos Takam to become the mandatory contender for IBF champion Anthony Joshua,should Joshua defeat Dominic Breazeale as he is heavily favored to do next month.
Takam tested Parker in the type of way that is good for young fighters to take a step forward and I think it will serve Parker very well in his challenge of Joshua.
I scored Parker a 116-112 winner.
R.L and I each scored one point for the Parker win...

In Moscow Denis Lebedev impressively unified his WBA cruiserweight title with the IBF belt with a second round knockout of Victor Ramirez.
Lebedev knocked Ramirez down in the second and then hammered Ramirez around the ring before the referee jumped in to end the fight.
A Lebedev-Murat Gassiev fight (Gassiev is the IBF number one contender) might be one of the best action fights that can be made....
I added two points for the Lebedev knockout win with R.L.gaining one..

In Las Vegas,three of the four junior middleweight titles were on the line and at the end of the night,all three resided in the same stable in Houston.
That's not great news for boxing fans when none of the three have the slightest interest in fighting each other.
The 154 pound class is one of the weakest in the sport and that didn't change in Vegas.

The main event saw a rematch of a fight that few wanted to see the first time,let alone a second as Erislandy Lara retained his WBA title with a unanimous decision win  over Vanes Martirosyan in a fight that was reminding no one of a good action battle.
I had Lara a narrow 115-112 winner.
R.L and I each collected two points for the win.

Jermall Charlo kept his IBF title with a unanimous win over Austin Trout.
I've been critical of the Charlo brothers,but Austin Trout is an excellent name to have on the resume and I give Charlo credit for taking Trout on.
I had Charlo a 115-113 winner as Trout came on in the late rounds,but started too late.
R.L grabbed two points for the Charlo win to my zero as I picked Trout..

Jermell Charlo won the vacant WBC title with a sudden eighth round knockout of John Jackson.
Jackson was leading on my card when Charlo struck seconds into round eight to stun Jackson,who turned his back away just before the referee stopped the fight.
Charlo gave me two points and R.L one for the win....

The Charlos and Lara aren't fun fighters to watch and I suppose we'll have some boring fights to look forward to.
Lara's the top fighter in the division until beaten,but Demetrius Andrade and Julian Williams are boxing fans best hopes to break the Houston stable's chokehold on the division....



No comments: