2-1 win over the Sabres in Buffalo...
Greene's goal (2) was set by a holding penalty on Evander Kane,who grabbed Greene on an overtime scoring chance.
Yohann Auvitu scored his first goal of the season (and career) in the third period to tie the game for the other Devils score.
Keith Kinkaid finished with 25 saves in notching the win on a Cory Schneider night off.
The same two teams face off tonight in New Jersey.
1) The Andy Greene winner was really stopped by Anders Nilsson initially,but the puck was never controlled by Nilsson and the puck kept moving between Nilsson's legs to the net.
The reaction of Nilsson was priceless as he knew he should have made the save,,
2) I had to laugh because I would think Andy Greene winning a game on a penalty shot would rank pretty low on the scale of how to win games.
Greene had never taken part in a shootout,let alone a penalty shot,so who really knew how well he would do in this situation?
3) Yohann Auvitu continued his surprising play with his first career goal from the point.
Taylot Hall started the puck movement to Travis Zajac,who then got the puck to Auvitu for the shot.
I really like what I've seen from the NHL rookie/Euro veteran thus far.
4) Good night for Keith Kinkaid,who was sharp in goal.
The only puck that eluded Kinkaid was the Matt Moulson goal,which was against a wide open net and slammed in.
That wasn't being stopped by Keith Kinkaid,Cory Schneider or anyone else.
Very nice night for Kinkaid,who did exactly what you hope from your backup in these situations-play well enough to keep you in the game and give you a chance to win,.
5) The Devils power play continued to be ineffective as the team went zero for six with the man advantage.
The most notable omissions was a 5 on 3 chance for almost a minute and a half and a four minute failure in the third period.
It wasn't like the Devils had Anders Nilsson standing on his head in these chances either,so this is an area of concern..
6) I have been impressed by the line of Taylor Hall.the suddenly rejuvenated Travis Zajac and PA Parenteau.
Seems to be some chemistry there.
7) I've always had a soft spot for the Sabres (and Bills too) ,especially when they returned to their classic (and awesome) uniforms a few seasons back.
Buffalo (from afar) reminds me so much of Cleveland and I hope with luck to maybe hit Buffalo next summer to hit the AAA Bisons and see the town.
Hoping to see how close I am to being correct on my take.
8) I haven't seen as many games of late with the Indians in the World Series etc and I'm not sure if I am going to do coverage every night,but I enjoy doing it when it is fun.
I'll see how it goes..