2-1 over the Dallas Stars.
Henrique's goal (3) allowed the Devils to start their four game road trip with a victory on a day that started with concern (more below) and ended with a strong effort against a good team.
Damon Severson scored (3) the first goal of the game for the Devils with Cory Schneider stopping 24 Dallas shots.
The next game for the Devils is Thursday night in Anaheim-no coverage due to the late start time and work....
1) The big news and concern is Taylor Hall missing the game with the "lower body injury".
Hall returned to New Jersey for an MRI today and a loss of Hall for this lineup could be massive.
Hall is tied for the team lead in points with Damon Severson and if this could be a long term absence,the Devils are going to be right back where they were last season as far as scoring goals go-trouble..
2) I wrote in the season preview that someone was going to have step up in the absence of Adam Larsson among the defensive corps,if the Devils were to have any chance of continuing to improve this season.
Thus far,someone has-In Damon Severson,the Devils just may have found their young blueliner that can combine offense with defense.
Severson currently is tied for the team lead in points with Taylor Hall and has been solid on the defensive end as he is comprising a solid tandem with Andy Greene.
Long way to go,but I like what I am seeing...
3) Adam Henrique hasn't played well most of the time this season and though I wouldn't attribute that to a lack of effort,this is a results business.
It was nice to see some of that effort rewarded with the game winner.
Henrique scored 30 goals last season,but I don't believe that he is a true 30 goal scorer and don't expect that from him,but I do think that he is a better player than he has shown this season.
Hopefully,this is the start of better things...
4) Cory Schneider didn't have as many saves as his counterpart Antti Niemi,but he had a tremendous night.
Schneider made some tremendous saves and kept the Devils in the game to give them a chance in the offensive end,,
5) Very classy of the Stars to give Vernon Fiddler a tribute on their video board before the game and equally as classy for John Hynes to give the fourth line (which Fiddler is a part of) the chance to start the game as the first line on the ice for the faceoff.
Guys like Fiddler don't get a ton of face time,but they are the grinders that make the game what it is and often are shunted into the background.
Kudos to the Stars and coach Hynes for remembering that...
6) Finally,Five wins in a row?
I don't have a stat in front of me,but it has been a while since five wins in a row.
This might be just because I am happy with the recent level of play,but I think we are on the right track with Ray Shero and John Hynes.
I think there is a long way to go in this overhaul of talent into a new style of play and there will be plenty of time for frustration and even doubt,but I think we are moving forward and with a few more drafts,the Devils are going to get there....