33-13 victory in Cleveland.
The Browns used three quarterbacks in the defeat as both Cody Kessler and Charlie Whitehurst each tossed a touchdown for the two Cleveland scores.
The still winless at 0-5 Browns will travel to Tennessee next week against the better than expected Titans...
1) Yes,three quarterbacks took snaps in this as Terrelle Pryor had to finish the game after Cody Kessler was crushed in the end zone in the first half and Charlie Whitehurst sprained a knee with five minutes to go in the game.
Kessler didn't break a rib,but is still questionable to play in the Tennessee game,while Whitehurst said he would be OK to play against Tennessee...
2) The Kessler hit by New England's Donta Hightower was brutal to watch as he roared up the middle without even being brushed by a block and drove Kessler into the turf.
A clean hit for sure and one that made me wince watching on television.
For whatever you think of Cody Kessler,the Browns need to use this situation to see what he has for a while-Not Charlie Whitehurst or any other placeholder...
3) What another horrific outing for the right side of the offensive line.
Yes,Joe Thomas and Joel Bitonio are as good as it gets on the left side,but John Greco is better at left guard than when he is forced to move to center and the right side is just below average at best and terrible at worst.
If the Browns don't have another quarterback miss substantial time before this season is out,I'll be surprised.
4) This team needs Corey Coleman back badly.
Without Coleman to stretch the field,teams are able to show no respect for anyone other than Terrelle Pryor outside and therefore take Pryor away with double teams.
I'd like to see more playing time for Rashard Higgins and have no idea why in this situation that we aren't seeing more from him in particular and Jordan Payton as well...
5) Was nice to see a little bit of production from tight end as Gary Barnidge caught a 31 yard pass (five on the day for 76 yards) and recently promoted Connor Hamlett caught a 17 yard touchdown pass from Charlie Whitehurst.
Size wise,Hamlett reminds me a little bit of Jordan Cameron.
I would think with a rookie (or limited veteran) quarterback would be making better use of Gary Barnidge and the tight end position
6) The D'Qwell Jackson award for multiple tackles down the field without much of an impact on this team goes to Christian Kirksey,who finished with 11 solo tackles and assisted on more.
Kirksey (like Jackson) is the type of player that looks good on the stat sheet (to those IDP fantasy players like me),but does very little to impact the game..
7) This game was just one of those that was always going to be bad news,once you saw that this was going to be Tom Brady's return,but when Buffalo whipped the Pats last week,one could easily see that this was going to be ugly,but this could have been much worse.
The Browns did stop the Patriots once on a fourth and short deep in Cleveland territory and Stephen Gostkowski missed a long field goal at the end of the half and New England could have ran the score up more-Could have been far worse...
8) The secondary is bad-brutally bad.
Five passing plays of over 35 yards and the Browns cover tight ends like they have a yellow jersey on and they are Green Lanterns.
Martellus Bennett was so open on a touchdown catch that he could have bunny hopped into the end zone.
Does it say just how bad Justin Gilbert was that he couldn't play for this team???
9) Isaiah Crowell's day was pretty rough with just 22 yards with a long rush for the day being just six yards.
Offensive line is more than just pass protecting...
10) I watched a decent amount of the Tennessee-Miami game yesterday and came away with some good feelings on the improving Titans.
I thought earlier this year that if the Browns got a win that one of their best chances would be this one at Tennessee.
I don't think so now.
That doesn't mean that they are without a chance,just that I don't think that chance is as high as before the season..
11) What games did I circle?
For the record they were two road and two home-the road games were Miami and Tennessee and the home games aren't here yet-New York Jets and San Diego.
From what I see of the Dolphins,they aren't a lot better than the Browns and that game might be the only one that they win for a while.....