Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Reflections on Pittsburgh in Round 1


Pittsburgh lost yet another 1st round draft pick to arm injury yesterday with the loss of
Brad Lincoln to Tommy John Surgery.
Ryan commented on the Buc draft pick disasters,so I thought I would show this disaster.
Cant blame Captain Dave for all of these,the previous clueless fool (Cam Bonifay) drafted some as well.
1999) Bobby Bradley-Arm Injury out of baseball
2000)Sean Burnett-AAA Indianapolis-after TJ surgery
2001)John Van Benscoten-AAA Indianapolis-Shoulder surgery
2002)Bryan Bullington-AAA Indianapolis-Shoulder surgery
2003)Paul Malholm-Pittsburgh
2006)Brad Lincoln-Tommy John surgery

So since 1999,the Pirates have used 6 1st rounders on pitchers and 5 have had some type of major surgery!!!
The 1st two were high schoolers selected by Bonifay,the other 4 college guys by Littlefield.
This cannot be a coincidence.
Either the Pirates and their medical staff arent doing their homework on health before the draft or the Pirates Minor league staff are not paying enough attention to mechanics and arm injuries are the result.
In either case,there is simply NO reason for this to be happening.
Wasted picks,wasted money and wasted time-That is Pirates Baseball.

The Pirates are off tomorrow and I will be at the Hickory-Hagerstown game,so Fridays blog will likely be on that topic,but sometime over the next few days,just for fun,I will be tossing on some youth baseball stories and opinions on the blog.
Those of you that are friends know about the 10 years I have been involved in coaching and know the good times and bad times,but in any case-I was always a figure of controversy in those leagues.
So here and there,you might see a story on a past game or event or just as likely the problems that I see in the youth game and my solutions.
Just something to look for.

Also a quick hello to Bob Stambaugh.I ran into Bob today and it was great seeing him this afternoon.
Bob was an assistant coach for me for 3 different years and he did a fine job as a coach and he is an even better person.

Hope to post early this morning (since I am off work) on the Pirate finale tonight in Houston and if anything else catches my fancy.

No comments: