Thursday, April 26, 2007

Tale of two games,Devils fall 5-4


In a game that was a Jekyll and Hyde game for both teams,The New Jersey Devils lost game 1 of the Eastern Semis to the Ottawa Senators 5-4.
Ottawa dominated most of the 1st scoring the first 4 goals,the Devils battled back by scoring the next 3 in the late 1st period and the second and each scored a goal in the 3rd.
Martin Brodeur struggled early against the high-powered Ottawa offense and has no excuse on any of them,although the 2nd goal was set up on the power play by a silly penalty call by the arbiters.
Marty and the Devil defense in the 1st period must bear the brunt of this loss.
Simply put-a poor effort.
I was pleased with the effort shown in battling back to at least make the Senators sweat it out a bit.
The loss of Captain Patrik Elias due to the flu was obviously a huge loss,but you need overcome these types of things in playoff hockey.
Elias is hoping to be ready for Game 2.
Devils goals to Travis Zajac (Langenbrunner and Parise Assts), Brian Gionta (Gomez and Martin), Andy Greene (Langenbrunner and Parise) and Zach Parise with the goaltender pulled (Gomez and Rafalski).
I really have liked what I have seen from Andy Greene.I think he will be a huge addition to next years squad.

I am hoping that this rally will carry over into Game 2,Saturday night at 8;00 from the Meadowlands.
I have to work,so my recap will be off the XM coverage.
My employers refuse to spring the extra few bucks a month for digital cable,so since we have no Versus coverage, I will miss this one.

Oh,well-I will cover the WBA-IBF Lightweight unification bout between Champions Juan Diaz (WBA) and Acelino Freitas(IBF) for the evening.

Photo Credit-Bill Kostroun-AP Photo

No comments: