Monday, April 30, 2007

Seahawks draft-Day 2


The Seattle Seahawks had a great day 2 in my opinion,with one exception.
I did not have a problem with trading Darrell Jackson. For all of his skills,he did drop balls and was injury-prone,but I have a MAJOR problem in sending him to San Francisco.
Now the Seahawks will have to face a motivated player twice a year and gave a division rival an excellent player at a position of need.
I will miss Jackson,but a full season of Deion Branch should more than fill his shoes.
I wish they had gotten more than a 4th rounder,but that is all Oakland got for Randy Moss,so I cannot complain too much.

So after the trade,Seattle had two fourth round picks.
The first was Miami defensive end Baraka Atkins.Atkins looks to be a player to groom for the day that Bryce Fisher goes elsewhere.
In a salary cap age,you cannot go wrong by building depth on both lines.
The other addressed my top need,offensive line in taking Georgia Tech guard Mansfield Wrotto.
The 300 pounder has huge upside in my opinion,as he played just one year at guard.
Going to take some development,but with his size and temperment,Wrotto could be a good one.

The Seahawk 5th rounder was Auburn linebacker Will Herring
Herring was a productive player at Auburn,especially vs the run,but looks to be a depth-special teamer for now.

Seattle had two picks in round 6 and listened to my call for depth by selecting wideouts with both picks and both could make the team.
Courtney Taylor,another Auburn product, is a tough possession type receiver that could play the slot and eventually fill the Bobby Engram role down the road.
While the other pick is a high risk high reward pick-I really like Oregon's Jordan Kent.
Kent has size (6'3) and deep speed,needs some work with his hands,but with some work-could be the rare receiver that is as good in the red zone as he is going deep.
Great roll of the dice here.

The Seahawks finished the draft in round 7 with another player I really like.
Wake Forest guard Steve Vallos is a former Ohio High School Wrestling champion and a main reason for Wake's miracle run to the ACC title last year.
I like former wrestlers at guard because the power and balance that one learns from amateur wrestling helps with the skills needed to play guard.
Watch for Vallos as well.

I really like what the Seahawks did considering they did not have a 1st rounder.
Tomorrow I will grade the Browns and Seahawks drafts and what they need to do before training camp.

Tonight we have Devils-Senators Game 3,Pirates continuing their home stand vs the Cubs and the first visit of the year to Hagerstown from the West Virginia Power.
The Power is an affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Photo Credits-Unavailable

No comments: